Hello everyone! My name is Emily and though I have been part of Antigone for the past year I have not yet blogged on our wonderful blog yet. That is about to change, however.
On August 30th, I turned 20. I am no longer a teenager, I am officially a “young adult”. Before my birthday I was a sulky mess, I had some sort of Forever Young/ Peter Pan complex thing going on. I wanted to be a teenager forever. A lot of people have said they hated being a teenager because it was all awkward and such. I loved the awkwardness and the teenager antics, it was amusing. But now I am a “twenty-something”.
I have come around now and I am actually quite pleased to be a young adult. I think I’ve turned out okay so far, and I’m excited for my life as an adult. I was good at being a teenager, but I think I will be good as an adult, too.
Here is what I am hoping/aiming for as I take on my twenties:
- To become a better leader, and by doing so find my voice more in able to speak out about the issues I really care about. I have a tough time speaking out in class and such, stating my opinion in a group of people unless I am really, really confidant in what I am saying. I think now that I need to just take a risk and say stuff even if it comes out a jumbled mess. It would be a messy start, but a start nonetheless J
- To become more in control of my finances and to be a better saver and a smarter saver. Right now my mum makes sure my money is where it’s supposed to be and such, I earn it, she allocates it properly, and I want to be able to do it myself.
- To become a better driver. Right now I am a Nervous Nellie on the road and I must be able to get myself from point A to point B without freaking out the entire time.
- To stay on top of and be well informed of current events. I get stuck in the UBC bubble and my work on campus, I need to make a more conscious effort to keep up to date about what’s going on the world, because some day I am going to help run it.
- To take better care of my physical health. I eat way to much pastry and junk food. I am a vegetarian who survives off of lattes and chocolate bars and bubble tea. No joke. This is going to change. I’m going to learn how to cook, damnit!
- To be conscious of my role as a role model. I realize more and more that whether I like it or not, the choices I make influence those around me, and I want to make sure that I am leading by example and practicing what I preach.
- To learn basic words and sentences in various languages. I want to be polite in all languages, not just English. Desperate hand gestures and such aren’t gonna cut it anymore for me, surely I can manage, “Can I help you?” and “Thank-you” in Polish and Korean and Punjabi and Sign Language and…..
- To always be grateful and to count my blessings. I am very lucky young adult. I have a loving family and great friends. I have good health and I go to a great school and I am determined to make a difference.
” I can be changed by what happens to me.
I am not reduced by it.”